Vegetarian Crockpot Recipes
Posted on Monday, October 14th, 2013 at 7:00 am
There are many crockpot recipes that were not designed with vegetarians in mind. However, if you search you can find tasty, and inexpensive, vegetarian crockpot recipes. Here are a few to get started with.
Savory Slow Cooked Squash and Apple Dish
AllRecipes has a super easy to make vegetarian crockpot recipe. It includes butternut squash and apples – two foods that are in season in October. This recipe would make an excellent side dish at Thanksgiving dinner. You will need:
* 1 (3 pound ) butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
* 4 apples – peeled, cored, and chopped
* 3/4 a cup of dried cranberries
* 1/2 a white onion – diced (this is optional)
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
Toss everything into the crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours (or until the squash is tender and cooked all the way through). Stir as needed.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
The cooler Fall weather makes a nice, hot, stew sound incredibly tempting. Real Simple has created a recipe that vegetarians can safely enjoy. You will need:
* 4 carrots – cut into 2 inch piece (about 5 cups)
* 3 medium turnips – peeled and cut into 1” cubes (about 3 cups)
* 1 large onion – diced (about 1 cup)
* 1 zucchini (cut into 1” pieces)
* 2 large garlic cloves – minced
* 1 (14 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
* 1 cup vegetable broth
* 1 teaspoon of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 (16 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained.
Put everything except the zucchini and chickpeas into the crockpot. Cook on low heat for 6 hours (or high heat for 3 hours). Add the zucchini and chickpeas and cook for 1 more hour on low heat.
Onion Garlic Hash Browns
Taste of Home has a vegetarian breakfast recipe that starts in the skillet and finishes in the crockpot. You will need:
* 1 large red onion (chopped)
* 1 small sweet red pepper (chopped)
* 1 small green pepper (chopped)
* 1/4 cut butter (cubed)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 4 garlic cloves (minced)
* 1 package (30 ounces) of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 teaspoons of fresh parsley (minced)
* 3 drops of hot pepper sauce (optional)
Put the onion, peppers, butter, and olive oil into a large skillet and saute them. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Stir in the hash browns, salt, pepper, (and hot sauce). Transfer it all to a 5 quart crockpot (coated with cooking spray). Cover it and cook it on low for 3 or four hours. Sprinkle parsley on top when done.