Staying Cool on the Cheap
Posted on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 5:12 pm
With scorching temperatures sweeping the nation this summer, your money might also be getting swept away by record high air conditioning bills. Try saving money by cutting back your A.C. usage with these tips and tricks for staying cool on the cheap.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored cotton clothing.
- Keep your neck cool with a cold cloth or shade from a hat. Surprisingly, this will trick your whole body into filling cooler.
- Keep all your blinds and curtains closed during the day. You’ll be amazed by how much cooler this will keep you house.
- Keep a spray bottle filled with cool water at hand for a refreshing mist now and then.
- Use fans to help circulate cool air. You can run your A.C. for a shorter time by pairing it with fans. If the temperature outside is cooler than inside, place a fan by an open door or window to spread the cool air throughout your house.
- Drink lots of chilled water and electrolytes.
- Eat smaller meals. Eating heavy, high protein meals will react with your body’s metabolic rate to make you feel hotter. Instead, eat chilled fruit and salads.
- Use thin, white cotton sheets on your bed in the summer. For added coolness, throw them in the freezer for a few minutes before you go to bed.
- Grab your swimwear and head to the beach, lake, pool, water park – any body of water you can get your hands on! Now might be a good time to use your money-saving skills to plan a budget wise vacation. And don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Share someone else’s A.C. – if it’s still just too hot no matter what you do, head to a store (perhaps the freezer aisle of the nearest grocery store?) or movie theater and enjoy a little A.C. at their expense, not yours.
Hopefully some of these tricks can help you save money and stay cool this summer. Hang in there, autumn is just around the corner!