Reasons Why Raw Cookie Dough Can Make You Sick
Posted on Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 at 7:00 am
Raw cookie dough can be very tempting, but that isn’t a good reason to eat it. You may have heard that the reason why people get sick after eating raw cookie dough is because of it contains raw eggs. There is another ingredient to watch out for that you may be unaware of.
Why Raw Cookie Dough Can Make You Sick
People who eat raw eggs risk getting sick from food poisoning. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) point out that the inside of eggs that appear normal can contain a germ called Salmonella. The germ causes diarrhea and severe stomach cramps. Most people get over it in about a week, but Salmonella can be very dangerous for older adults, infants, and people who have weakened immune systems.
The way to avoid the Salmonella germ is to avoid consuming eggs that are raw or that are only lightly cooked. Raw cookie dough contains raw eggs. That’s one reason why eating raw cookie dough can make you sick.
The other reason is due to an ingredient that you know is in raw cookie dough but may not have realized could make a person sick. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) wants people to be aware that raw flour can make people sick because the flour may have a harmful strain of E. coli on it. This means that eating raw flour can make you sick – and playing with raw flour can also make you sick.
In 2016, many people got sick from a strain of bacteria called Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O121. The FDA traced it to flour that was used in raw cookie dough that people handled or ate before they got sick. The flour came from a specific company’s production facility. That company voluntarily pulled their flour off the market. To be clear, the recall does not mean that it is suddenly safe to eat or play with raw flour.
The FDA notes that it isn’t just the flour in raw cookie dough that can make people sick. It is also possible to get sick from the flour that is in any kind of raw dough that contains flour. Some restaurants give children raw dough made from flour to play with while they wait for their meal. The children might be happy to play with the dough. They won’t be happy later on if the dough makes them sick.
That means the homemade play dough that you made for your kids could make them sick just from touching it if the dough contains contaminated flour. Raw flour could be in the play dough that is used at your child’s school or day care. Kids often put their fingers into their mouths while handling play dough (and some will taste and eat some of the dough).