How to Get the Most from a Box of Baking Soda
Posted on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 at 7:00 am
What can you do with a box of baking soda? More than you might think! Many people use a box of baking soda to freshen a fridge and never consider using it for anything else. They are missing out! Here is a quick list of the many ways to get the most from a box of baking soda.
Ways to Use Baking Soda
You can use a box of baking soda to:
* Freshen up a couch – Sprinkle lots of baking soda on a couch and let it sit overnight to remove odors.
* Deodorize a diaper pail – You can’t always rush the contents of a diaper pail out the door and into the trash immediately. Dowse the smell with baking soda. That should help make life more bearable.
* Remove chlorine smell from towels – This is a good tip to keep in mind when your family goes on Spring break or Summer vacation! Remove the “pool smell” by adding ½ cup of baking soda to the rinse cycle when you do the laundry.
* Clean a shower curtain – Before you replace a vinyl shower curtain, try this trick! Sprinkle some baking soda on a clean, damp, sponge or brush. Take the shower curtain down and scrub it. Rinse it clean and hang it back up to dry. This is less expensive than buying a new shower curtain.
* Remove the musty smell from closets – When you want to freshen a fridge, you put an open box of baking soda in it. You can do the same to make your closet smell fresher, too! Pick a shelf that has some space and place an open box of baking soda on it.
* Get rid of the food smell in a microwave – The microwave makes it easy to heat up everything from a frozen burrito to any variety of frozen dinner imaginable. Sadly, those food smells linger long after the meal has been consumed. To clean out the food smell, sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and use it to wipe the inside of your microwave. Remember to rinse the microwave well before you use it again!
* Revive your patio furniture – It won’t be long until the weather gets warm and your family will want to spend more time outdoors. Patio furniture that has been stored away for months might take on the musty smell of the garage or storage space. Freshen it up by cleaning it with baking soda!
Photo Credit: homeremediesforlife.com