Holiday Safety Tips for Pet Owners
Free Coupons, Printable Coupons, Grocery Coupons Online


Holiday Safety Tips for Pet Owners

Posted on Monday, December 15th, 2014 at 7:00 am
Pin It


Keep your pets safe this holiday season (and avoid an expensive vet bill). Here are some holiday safety tips for pet owners.The holidays can be exciting and happy for many humans. Their pets, on the other hand, can become harmed from the holiday food, decorations, and lights. Emergency visits to the vet can be really expensive. You can save money, and keep your pet safe, by following some of these holiday safety tips for pet owners.

Holiday Pet Safety Tips

Oh, Christmas Tree!
The ASPCA points out that your Christmas tree can be dangerous for your pets. Make sure that your tree is securely anchored so that it cannot easily be tipped over. Pets do get injured as a result of having a Christmas tree fall over on top of them.

Some cats will climb the tree. Both cats and dogs may take an interest in the ornaments or tinsel. Keep a close watch on your pets to make sure they are not ingesting tinsel, fragments of broken ornaments, or tree needles. You also need to take steps to prevent your pets from drinking the water that you give your tree. The ASPCA says that water can contain bacteria. Your pet can get sick from drinking it.

Skip the Mistletoe & Holly
Some people like to use these two plants as decoration during the holidays. They may look pretty, but they are dangerous to pets (who may decide to taste or eat them). Pets that eat Holly can experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Pets that eat Mistletoe can end up with gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems.

If you absolutely must have Mistletoe and Holly as part of your holiday decorating, choose a safer alternative. You can purchase inexpensive plastic plants at crafts stores. Some dollar stores will have them, too.

Watch Over the Lights
There are many things that can make a Christmas tree look attractive to your pet. One of those things are the Christmas lights. Don’t let your pet chew on the lights or the wire they are attached to. It is possible that your pet could receive an electric shock as a result of chewing through the coating on the wire and coming into direct contact with wire itself.

Do you like to light candles? Always put a candle on a stable surface. Doing so can help prevent the lit candle from being knocked over if your pet bumps the table it is sitting on. Don’t let your pets get close to the candle. They might find the flame to be fascinating, but are probably unaware that fire can burn them. Make sure you blow out all candles before you leave a room and before you go to bed at night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *